Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Sportback GT: ** Only**

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Sportback GT: **Doug Only**
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay... thanks so much for the tip!

Let me know when you are ready to continue here... on the uploads, remember just do the attachment without putting the picture in-line as that does seem to break the questions sometimes :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Ok, not sure how to do that, testing here. Did you get an attachment? I uploaded one, but did not insert it. Also, I'm gonna' be going to the 235/40's here soon. Now, with the monster sway bar upgrades I've done in both the front & rear, I've had a HUGE increase in torsional rigidity, like 195%+. I've also swapped out the OEM sway bar links, for Moog High Performance links, and I'm on the Evo X GSR rims, wider by 1.5". Should I have ANY concern about stress on the bearings or hubs at all? The forums all say no issues, but I need a Pro's opinion.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Thats perfect.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I'll do that from now on....didn't know. Ok, what about the stress issue?

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

That's a nice looking wrap, that should drop your engine bay temps down a good bit for sure!

With the bearings.... as long as you aren't extending the weight distribution further out, which puts a load on the inboard area of the bearing, you'll be fine. You would have to be talking about a major shift in wheel offset (like 20mm spacers etc) to really have to expect a bearing issue.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

It's when you widen the track that you run into issues with the bearings, because as you do so it basically pulls harder downward on the bearing.

Think of it like this... if you have a single paper towel sheet held tight between your hand and you put a 5lb weight in the middle, no big deal. If you extend the width to 2 paper towels or more, all of a sudden that same weight in the center pulls downward much worse. The same thing happens on the bearings... They are meant to have a certain amount of downward load on them, and widening the tires/wheels an inch isn't going to do anything when you are centered in the same location. When you move that center (offset) further out though, it drastically changes the vehicles weight as a load on the bearing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Yeah, I'm not gonna' get crazy with it, just the wider & lower 235's. And this is an awesome shot from Lime Rock, coming off the back straight, turning into the uphill at about 70+. Look how freakin' even the car is, pulling almost 1G, the passenger side wheels are dropping right into the curve of the turn as the driver side awesome picture!! You should see the old shots before I did anything to the car.....was rolling over HUGE! (Found one, you can see the difference. This is totally stock, from 2013.)

Expert:  Doug replied 1 month ago.

Yeah and on stock (well, evo) rims, that isn't going to have any significant effect on the life of the bearings.

That is ridiculous how much tighter you got that thing!