350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1

The weirdest thing is happening to my 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

Customer Question

The weirdest thing is happening to my 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR. We went on vacation and the car sat for a little over two weeks. When we got home and I drove if for the first time and after about ten minutes I got an ASC Service Required error. The car had been running perfectly before we went on vacation. Well, I thought maybe I got some air in the fluid line with it sitting that long and maybe that is what happened. Well, after I stopped and then started it again the warning was gone. Ah, I thought, that must have been it. I had a few days before my first day back at work and every time I drove the car everything was fine. The first morning (5 a.m.) I had to drive to work I noticed that the cruise control wouldn't engage (even with the 'cruise' light illuminated on the dash) and then about ten minutes into my drive, while on the freeway and without any fancy driving, the ASC Service Required warning came back on. Hmmm? After parking my GSR for about eleven hours while at work, I drove home (4:30 p.m.). The car drove fine. Cruise control worked fine. No ASC Service Required warning. Hmmm? The next morning I experienced the same problem as the previous day at pretty much the same time/distance after leaving my house. In the afternoon everything worked fine again. Today is my third day back at work and this morning I had exactly the same issue as the previous two days. I have checked the fluid level in the trunk and it is perfect. After driving the level drops a little but not below the low mark on the reservoir. Any ideas? Is there some way that the cruise control and the ASC issues are connected? I can only surmise that it has something to do with the car not being run for over two weeks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

a faulty ASC will disable the cruise control

and I'd suggest to 1st check the fluid level

as if its sprung a leak then you get all sorts of odd issues with a low oil level

its also possible that it needs bleeding of air

however this is an involved procedure and you need the dealer level diagnostic tool to carry it out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cruise control seems to stop working before the ASC. Like I mentioned, the fluid level seems fine. The big question is why in the morning but not in the evening?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you ever heard about air getting into the rear pump after sitting for just over two weeks?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is Doug out there?
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

Ok as you're after Doug I'll opt out

good luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am still waiting to hear from Doug. Did this get forwarded to him?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still haven't heard from Doug. Maybe another certified Mitsubishi mechanic that know Eros is out there that can help me.