john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

How do I get engine code from 2004 mitsubishi montero. I

Customer Question

How do I get engine code from 2004 mitsubishi montero. I have used a paperclip before but I can't remember what numbers to put it in.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You can take it to any parts store and get a free scan.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I am not seeing in the service manual where to jump the connector to get the codes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi...a couple years ago I was able to find out and get a list of the codes...is there any way u can get me that list?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I cant, I will opt out and another expert should be able to help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your time...Can I request Doug
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 5 months ago.

http://www.autocodes.com/

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi...do u know what spots to put a paperclip in so I can get the code number

as far as im aware a code reader is required...paper clips do not work on obd 2 vehicles

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok...thanks for the idea about parts store...the code is p0431...warm up catalyst effiency below threshhold bank two.

thats a bad catylitic converter..98 percent of the time...have you tried resetting it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No...do I reset by disconnecting batery?

that would work