sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 98 Vr4 gallant with a DOHC 2.5 twin turbo 6A113TT.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 98 Vr4 gallant with a DOHC 2.5 twin turbo 6A113TT.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 1998, the car stumbles and will not accellerate and back fires, i disconnected the MAF and it goes very well untill it figures out that the MAF is not connected then goes into limp home mode..the fuel pump has been replaced already but im leaning towards a fuel pump module. does this car have one? i dont have a shop manual
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: its new
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1998, the car stumbles and will not accellerate and back fires, i disconnected the MAF and it goes very well untill it figures out that the MAF is not connected then goes into limp home mode..the fuel pump has been replaced already but im leaning towards a fuel pump module. does this car have one? i dont have a shop manua
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Waiting for your answer

Are you getting any trouble codes?

Have you monitored the fuel pressure?

Is the MAF sensor reading correct?

Is the back fire out the intake or exhaust?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately we're back to basics in this one. I got the car as a wreck that everyone gave up on...I have tried different code readers but they can't communicate.The car idles rough and is almost undeliverable due to lack of power backfire from exhaust...if you can get it to a WOT situation it can actually fly! Disconnecting the MAF smoothed out idle and the car now accelerates perfectly and runs great until the PCM figures out what's going on and the car goes to limp home mode.The fuel pump was bad and has been changed....fuel pump relay was overheated along with wiring which has been repaired.The MAF was replaced with a new one and no change.I suspect that if the car has a Fuel control module that gives the pump a PWM signal then this maybe giving us the lean condition of the unit is bad...Does this model have that fuel pump control module?? Any part numbers

Can I get the vin#?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
PAEEA5ASRXA000322This is a Japanese 4wd rally car that made its way into Germany and New Zealand ....unbelievably this one was assembled in the Philippines and that's where it is now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1996–2003 Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR-4 — EC5A/EC5W

I need to opt out on this one. I have no information on this car.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Lack of fuel pressure is a definite possibility but I wouldn't recommend replacing the fuel pump or other parts without confirming it has failed. If it runs fine under wide open throttle though fuel pressure isn't a likely cause as fuel demand is higher then. A scan tool is most likely going to be necessary to accurately diagnose the problem.

Has fuel pressure been tested at the time the problem was happening?