Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

Mitsubishi Pajero D.ID 3.2 year 2002. Engine starts easily

Customer Question

Mitsubishi Pajero D.ID 3.2 year 2002. Engine starts easily run for approximately 5 seconds then stall.
It will restart easily and run for the same time before stalling.
A new Injection pump has been fitted,a new ECU was installed, Intake manifold and throttle body was cleaned. EGR was blocked as a test method. New Fuel filter was installed. As a test, fuel feed from tank was disconnected and fed from container with the same results.
My observations are ; the rev counter don't work, the oil lamp is not show on the instrument cluster ,All other lamps and gauges work. I have check ALL fuses in the fuse box under the Hood and under the dash with the ETACS. they are ALL GOOD. I have checked them with POWER PROBE and removed them for a visual check.
Any assistance you can offer in solving this problem will be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, you need another fuel pump. the idle valve inside is not working.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thanks David for answering my query.

The present problem is the same one that existed before the NEW Pump was Installed and the new ECU.

I am a bit taken back by your reply " you need another fuel pump"

For an expert, an answer like that is definitely not in keeping with protocol for checking the symptom described.

I do not have a workshop manual for this vehicle so i am unable to make the necessary test for the pump supply circuit.( Key on,Key off,continuity check from ECU to Pump etc) Do you possess a WORKSHOP MANUAL for this vehicle?

I am a mechanical engineer with 40 years experience .

Please address my questions with detailed explanations and backed with documented information.

I await your reply.

these are classic signs of a bad pump. have you completed a fuel pressure test? ive gotten bad components from the dealer before, so please do not belittle me. thank you. a fuel pressure test is mandatory. do you have the proper testing equipment to do the test? if not please obtain it or take the vehicle to a repair shop that has the proper equipment. thank you

If you are not happy with my suggestion and would rather talk to another tech, then I will opt out and allow someone else to assist you. thank you.

when it comes to any fuel related issue, i do not do anything or suggest anything until a pressure test is done then move on from there. thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I will preform a pressure test on crank and when the engine starts.

Again, with your immediate jump to conclusion, I would rather deal with a MITSUBISHI experience technician.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Hey Ken Jake here, sorry about the previous correspondence there. I can see your frustration.

My first concern here is that your rev counter is not working? Is the service engine light on? Do you have a scan tool at all?

The main intentions for my concern about the rev counter is that if all the other guages are working normally then the unified meter is likely not seeing an RPM signal, which would be an indication that the crank sensor is not working properly. If the engine can't see an RPM signal then the pump is not going to continue to run because the ECU is not seeing engine speed to correlate fuel demand.

So please elaborate on the RPM issue and the other questions I have and we can go from there, I am sorry about the previous tech but I will be happy to try and help as much as possible from over the net. Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Many thanks Jake. You seem to be a person who understand how things should work. You first reply make sense and the Rev meter is a concern of mine.

The speed sensors fitted at the Injection are new. I do not have a workshop manual for this vehicle.

The speed sensors are 12 volt supply.

What I would like is a schematic showing the Speed sensor to the Rev meter. Checking this circuit will assure me that the wiring is good or that I have a problem which need to be repaired.

I have a MUT 111 but It keep showing CANNOT COMMUNICATE with VCI.

I am using the red or Burgundy colored cable provided for the Pajero D.ID 3.2 .

If you have ever experience this problem and solved it ,please advise how I may proceed.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

That's a pretty generic error. It's essentially just saying it can't connect to the communication interface at all.

Could be the cable, not familiar with the burgundy cable more so the blue and yellows. Then again I live in the U.S. so there are slight variations when it comes to the DLC I am sure. The Engine speed sensor is going to be a hall effect type sensor located to the left of the pump gear, meaning the only way to effectively check the sensor is to scope the sensor or use a very high end meter on the center wire and watch the voltage trigger. This WILL NOT give you an understanding of the square wave though only whether or not it's referencing instead of holding a solid voltage. If the tach is not working I wouldn't even bother, just replace the sensor unless the wiring or connector is damaged.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I have yellow end cables as well . None of the cables provided with the MUT 111 wont work on this vehicle The cables works on other vehicles.

The harness was mangled by some Idiot who cut off the connectors for the speed sensors.

I replaced the connectors for both speed sensors with a suitable substitute.

The colours of the wires for the Main speed sensor (no 1) are red Black and mauve,the colours for speed sensor (no2) are red black and mauve with white/

I do not have a scope. But i did replace that speed sensor with a new one. (RPM)

Speed sensor no1 is mounted at the top of the pump and speed sensor no2 is mounted at the side. Both are situated near the driven gear for the pump.

Do you have specific information relative to this vehicle?

Do I need to register the NEW ECU ,do I need to initialise the pump?

These are questions I need answers for.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Do I have info Specific to the 3.2 DID? I do not on the DID engine specifically. Only the 6g72, 6g74, & 4m40

Do You need to register the NEW ECU?brief answer: YES - key registration required

Do You need to initialize the pump? Brief Answer: YES - complete the supply pump exchange service special function

anything else specifically your looking for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

This vehicle has no programmable key.

{The PUMP need to be initialize } is this documented ? if so could you send me a copy .

Do you know of anyone who could provide specific information for the MUT111 diagnostic Tool?

You admit you do not posses any specific information on this Vehicle. Without knowing anything about this Pajero how can you assist me with the problem?

You do not have a schematic or voltage chart, where do we go from here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Jake,I need to get this vehicle working.

Do you know if any of the other EXPERTS on this site who may have SPECIFIC information on the MITSUBISHI Pajero D.ID 3.2 4M41 engine?

INFORMATION is the fastest way to solve this problem.

I await your reply.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Kenneth, changing a supply pump that regulates a volume control valve always requires initialization. The MUT III has the supply pump exchange service for that reason and a status for its completion when you run the function. It's like replacing an electronic throttle it requires a learning for the vehicle to idle properly. The DID is not special in that effect the pumps and fuel control work the same.

Kenneth, i would be more than happy to open the question back up for you IF that's what YOU want. I can't make any promises that anyone will chime in or be able to provide anything that i can't. Granted I am welcome to do as you wish since we don't seem to be progressing here over the net.

MUT III user manuals are easy to come by and scoured all over the net, but that is only going to tell you how to navigate the tool and its features. If your looking for exactly what menu and function numbers to hit you will need the dealer service manual for your Pajero. It indicates exactly what to do IF your not familiar. For example (go to "special functions" go to no. 21 "supply pump exchange service" etc. etc. etc. It's not entirely difficult.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Jake ,I have initialize many pumps on ford toyota nissan etc. I do key programming the works.

I own and operate a mechanical and diagnostic shop.

I own several diagnostic tools , Nissan consult ,Ford IDS, MaxiDas 708. PS90,Toyota Tech stream,Xtool PS52,Launch X431 diagun, ALLScanner VCX-PLUS,MUT111 and many more.

The problem is not that I am unable to use or understand the functions of the MUT111. The problem is ,It will not connect to the Pajero D.ID 3.2 ECU using any of the cables provided with the tool. The tool does work on other mitsubishi vehicles.

My question to you on the MUT111 is, do you know what could be causing this problem or do you know someone who solve such problems.( I can send you a screen shot if you think it would help)

I have tried purchasing a workshop manual for the Pajero D.ID from Mitsubishi TIS in Europe only to be told that it was removed from their data base.

This vehicle was tampered with by several persons over 3 years before arriving at my Shop. A genuine workshop manual from mitsubishi is ALL that I require to solve the many problems .

Max Ellery's vehicle repair manuals provide little detailed information on this model and year. ( I own one)

I think you should now have a better understanding why I tried soliciting your assistance .

You are listed as an EXPERT and I was of the opinion that you would be receipt of or have easy access to workshop manuals on ANY vehicle.

I am hoping you will dig up something from one of you colleagues

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

I do not have receipt of or easy access to manuals for ANY vehicle. I am located in the U.S. and am a Nissan Expert with access to all U.S. model dealer specific documentatio in Nissan. I have some previous Mitsu experience and try to help out when I see others like yourself in need. I only know one Mitsubishi dealer tech that visits the site.

I will open this question up and I do hope you get the information you need.

Best regards ***** ***** Kenneth, I am sorry I was not of help here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Did you have any luck with your man from Mitsubishi?

Did any other tech respond to my problem?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

Ken, I apologize no other techs were willing or comfortable handling your issue with you.

Some things are just entirely too difficult over the net.

If you did get it corrected, I would always be interested in knowing what the solution was should I encounter something similar in the future.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Okay, how would I go about getting a refund?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.

I'll send your request for a refund to customer service.