Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2003 montero limited that appears to have a cracked

Customer Question

For Doug,I have a 2003 montero limited that appears to have a cracked head. What engine options do I have? I think the Montero was the only RWD with the 3.8. Will the Endeavor 3.8 fit if I use my intake, accessories, etc? For some reason, everyone wants crazy money for the 3.8 specifically from a Montero. How about the 3.5? Will if work? Obviously slightly less powerful but at this point I don't care much.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. you would have headaches installing a totally diff engine in it's place because of all the sensors wiring and ECU settings, cost more then worth. Question, how bad is the rest of the engine / is IT POSSIBLE TO JUST REPLACE THE HEAD CHEAPER THEN FLUSH THE ENGINE AND CHANGE OIL WITH ADDITIVE? hope THIS GIVES YOU AN OPTION TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate your reply. I addressed the question to Doug as that is what I was told to do to get a specific mechanic. No offense to you at all, but I have worked with Doug in the past. The engine runs fine. The only symptom I am having is an overheating issue. Appears the crack opens up after a lot of driving on very hot days. I am not burning coolant, nor is it getting into my oil. But the R&R of cylinder heads is not a cheap venture. Most of the time its cheaper to replace the engine.

oh woops , sorry I'll opt out so Doug can assist you have a good day and hope your issue gets resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still haven't received any response. Is this being redirected to Doug?