Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

The hazard lights flash after I've turned off the ignition.

Customer Question

The hazard lights flash after I've turned off the ignition. Not right away, but after a few minutes. I've received notes from strangers in the park n ride and I saw it happen at church today. They flashed for a few minutes then stopped flashing for about 45 minutes, then flashed again for a few minutes before stopping on their own.
Any ideas? The SRS warning light has been on for about a year but since I don't live near a Mitsubishi dealer, I've just ignored that and assume it's unrelated.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi and good morning Kenneth .

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system fitted .

How long have you had this car and did it do it before .

Does the hazards lights flash once or twice .

Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for taking this on.

I don't think there is an aftermarket alarm system. I bought the car in 2010 and have not added anything. The hazard lights flash for 2-3 minutes. Long enough for people to notice and write a note/get me. But they were off when I returned. I remember now that this happened once about 6 months ago...I opened the garage door and they were blinking. The do not blink when I turn off the engine, but about an hour (or more) later. On Sunday I came out and the lights were off but about an hour later they came on again....then turned themselves off again.

Also, the lights have been funky. My bright lights work fine, but the left (driver) dim light remained off even after I replaced the bulb. Then this past Tuesday, both dim bulbs went off. So I drove home with brights on (abut*****. When I got home it was back to 'normal' (passenger dim works, driver's doesn't). I just checked my lights and that's the situation now.

I looked through the manual last night to trouble shoot and see that each light has it's own fuse. I haven't checked those yet.

Two more facts. My wife and I were out of town all summer (May 22 to Aug 12) and the car sat in the garage all that time. Also, about a year ago the car battery gave out for no good reason. That was about the time I first saw the hazard lights blinking, but nothing since that until just this past week.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi Ken .

Do you still have the car's keyfob working .

Think this is looking like a Alarm issue possible that one of the doors or hoodand truck have a switch issue .

Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for not responding sooner...I was waiting for your reply but your email got diverted into my Clutter folder. I hate it when the PC thinks it knows what I want.

I checked the security system. There is a decal on the window that says Mitubishi so I think it's original equipment.

I don't have a key fob...just the key that came with the car, which has a proximity chip in it.

It very well could be a switch issue. Is there a way I can test them myself or do I need to take it to a mechanic? Could a Firestone mechanic do the work? The Mitsubishi dealer is a long drive away.

Thanks again. Hopefully your reply will make it directly to my inbox, but I'll also keep an eye out for it.