Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

2004 Eclipse, slowed down from 80, car started to shake,

Customer Question

2004 Eclipse, slowed down from 80, car started to shake, jerk. Engine died. The car will start if you keep your foot on the gas, but stalls if you remove your foot. Computer checked at home, showed "engine misfire". Checked plugs, one plug the end was missing. Car still not running. HELP!!!!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Well how long have those spark plugs been in the engine how many miles on them ? the thing with ignition systems is because it's such high voltage it will always go to the least resistance path and sometimes damage a component to make that path. what I'm trying to say is if there was a wider then normal gap for the spark to jump it may have damaged the wires and or ignition coil. So what I would do is this. First replace the spark plugs with original ones and wires. then if it don't start and run properly check the coil If it does start but runs rough check the compression for that broken piece may have damaged a valve. hope this helps and if you need further help i will be happy to do so.