Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Is it possible the ECU in the fuse panel under the hood

Customer Question

Is it possible the ECU in the fuse panel under the hood could be my problem does that ECU box in the fuse panel that's like 3 inches by 2 inches control the engine spark fuel pump
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I change the fuel pump it wasn't that I changed the cam position sensor it wasn't that I checked the crank position sensor and it seems to be getting a signal although I didn't change it I check the spark and there was no spark what if I shoot a little starter fluid it seems like it wants to run but not like it normally would if you shot starter fluid in a vehicle I checked the two fuel pump relays in the passenger compartment driver side fuse panel they seem to be functioning the first one clicking when I turn the key on the second one clicking after I turn the key is the 3 inch by 2 inch ECU in the fuse panel controlling Spark fuel pump injectors timing does the cam position sensor and crank position sensor go through the ECU are there any other relays in the fuse panel under the hood for the fuel pump different diagrams I check online seem to show a different location for the 04 let me know thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I call the dealer parts department and the service manager they really don't want to tell you much cuz they want you to bring the car in I guess but he did say that the ECU under the hood was like $1,100 I don't know if he was confusing that with the ECM but he said if I got one from him or one from a junk yard that I had to reprogram it to that vehicle can I just plug in another one that's like a fuse no cuz I can get one of those for $50 at the junkyard and the guy said even that one had to be reprogrammed to my vehicle is that true let me know thanks I hope my son Wat detailed information helps you guys thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You need to program the keys to the new ecu, it wont start without doing that due to the security system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you freaking kidding me Dan the whole time I was trying to get this thing running I was using a regular steel key without the buttons on it so are you telling me because of my security with the key and not using that key that's why my car wasn't starting because I took the key locked it and unlocked it got in and it started so my fixed is that what the problem was really something as stupid as not using the key with the button let me know thanks man I appreciate it
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It should have a chip in the key and an immobilizer ring on the ignition switch. Only if the ecu is replaced will it need to be programmed to the key.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dan is the man I told him what my problems were as stupid as it was his answer help me out thanks so much
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not that Dan's answer was stupid his answer was awesome it was the stupid little problem that he helped me solve thanks again
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks