Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

I believe my starter stopped working how do I get it out or

Customer Question

Hey Doug I believe my starter stopped working how do I get it out or how do I access it exactly where is it? 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 months ago.

Hi Don,

The starter looks a lot worse than it is on this model. The starter is on the forward side of the engine, tucked up by the exhaust .

If original, there will be a stamped steel heat shield on it to remove, it is held on with two nuts and two bolts, usually 8mm. Once that shield is off you can access the cables on the solenoid more easily. The battery cable has a 12mm nut holding it on (if original... if aftermarket it may be a 13mm) and the signal cable is just a squeeze and slide off situation. Of course make sure the battery is unhooked first.

The starter is held in with two 14mm bolts... that is the hardest part accessing them. Use what works best for you... I usually use a medium socket and long ratchet for the bottom one then a ratcheting wrench for the top one. But do what works for you... the radiator hoses etc are all real tight in that area.
Once the bolts are out, just slide the starter out and drop it straight down.

Expert:  Doug replied 2 months ago.

Were you able to get things squared away?