Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the freeway and my

Customer Question

A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the freeway and my car started hesitating, pausing as I was driving. I was worried it was going to stall on the freeway. Then I didn't see the problem again until today. I was driving down the road and there was that stall feeling again, but it was just hesitation.
Finally I pulled into my parking lot and it just stalked. All the dashboard lights were on and the brakes didn't even work. I had to hurry up and put it into neutral before I hit something because it was just rolling in drive, and I couldn't even brake.
Any idea what's going on?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: You think it could be a fuse issue? I don't know how to check those, but that sounds like it could be an easy fix.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: It's a 2006 and I just passed 100,000 miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd love to fix it myself if I knew why it was doing this. One more thing that might mean electrical or fuse problem. I didn't have on my seatbelt and the seatbelt light seemed to flash erratically, bot like it usually does. Is that a clue maybe?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just don't know if the seatbelt light flashing weird was related to the car hesitating and then stalling. Now I can turn the car on, but it dies almost instantly.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you are going to want to do is get the computer scanned to see what fault(s) have set from the event. Even if the engine light is not on currently, there is a very high probability that the event caused a trouble code to set that is still in memory.
As for possible causes... stalling like that is not really specific enough to have a single thing that comes to mind without any diagnosis or being able to look at the vehicle. Typically when this sort of behavior occurs you expect a faulty crank sensor, a broken timing belt, bad gas, etc. Having the computer scanned is the best course of action moving forward; the only other thing you could do just to rule it out would be to pop the oil cap off and have a helper crank the engine while you look inside to make sure there is movement inside the engine (indicating the timing belt did not break).
With regard to your seat belt light flashing erratically... it could be related. If the vehicle was on the verge of stalling any time the RPM dipped below 500 RPM or so it will reset some of the electronics (like the SRS ecu which controls the seatbelt warning). If the light is behaving normally now with the key on, I would not be overly concerned with that... it was likely a result of the vehicle being on the verge of stalling.