Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

It starts fine but will die at the first stop I come to. Yes

Customer Question

It starts fine but will die at the first stop I come to.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and this whole problem started when my husband was driving it three days ago and noticed the headlights getting damn so he took the battery to be tested and found that the battery was bad so it was replaced. Once the new battery was installed the check engine light came on again so they hooked up the code reader and then we found that the alternator was bad so now the alternator has also been replaced.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2000 Montero sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. We put the code reader on again and we got a code of P 1400 so we replaced the MDP sensor but we are still having the same problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The truck turns on and idles at right under 1000 RPMs. Once you put it in gear and take off it is fine until you reach the first stop. Then it dies.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Once the truck has died the first time. If you turn the air conditioner on and restarted it will start again and it will stay running
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

1- let him check for vacuum leaks ?

2- you can do that by spraying starting fluid around the intake manifold while running but do it ON A COLD ENGINE NOT HOT ?

3- If you changed the sensor and still getting code , i sent you the circuit diagram , the pcm controls the ground to the sensor , he can test there , if ground is missing then either a bad pcm ( computer box ) or the wiring to it , look at the diagram and you can see the flow of the circuit from sensor to pcm

CIRCUIT OPERATION - A 5-volt voltage is applied on the manifold differential pressure sensor power terminal (terminal 3) from the PCM (terminal 46). The ground terminal (terminal 2) is grounded with the PCM (terminal 57). - A voltage proportional to the pressure in the intake manifold plenum is sent from the manifold differential pressure sensor output terminal (terminal 1) to the PCM (terminal 91).

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat