Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2007 eclipse will crank, but won't start...

Customer Question

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

When you first turn the key to the on position can you hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds?

Have you tried spraying fuel or starter fluid in the intake duct and then try to start it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I read that the fuel pump on this model doesn't actually come on until the ignition sequence is started, ie, the key is turned to crank position. When the key is turned to the 'on' position, I can hear the clicking of the throttle position sensors however...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess what I can't figure out is if this is a fuel delivery problem, or an electrical problem...
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

That sounds a little strange that the fuel pump doesn't run until it's cranking, but I suppose it could be something specific to this year/model. I've just never heard of that being the case on the eclipse.

The best way to determine if it is a fuel delivery problem is to try spraying some type of fuel in the intake and then try to start it. If it starts and runs for a second or two and then dies, you know the problem is with fuel delivery.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You can use starting fluid, gas in some kind of spray bottle, or even wd-40 will make it run for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know where to spray the fluid. I do have some started fluid though
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Also, do you have a spare key you could try? These cars will disable the spark and injector pulse if the ignition key transmitter chip dies. This is very common. Sometimes a spare key will have a good transmitter and the engine will start. Then all you have to do is replace the dead key that won't work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only have one key for this vehicle
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You can unhook the air intake duct at one of the two points I circled in blue on this picture and spray a little fuel in then reconnect the hose, then try starting.

Just make sure you don't spray the Mass air flow sensor marked with a red X. It could damage it (not likely, but it could).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I had that off earlier when I changed the spark plugs. I'll go try that now... It may take a few minutes...
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I'm leaving the shop for the day in about 10 minutes- I'll check in with you this evening to see if you need more info.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I sprayed starter fluid in there and nothing happened. Im wondering if it may be a fuse or relay for the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If it didn't start with starting fluid then the problem probably isn't the fuel pump. I would lean toward a bad security key or a bad crank position sensor.

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a scan tool. Works good on every car I've tried it on. When I hook it up on this one, it says unable establish a connection...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know you're getting ready to leave, we can pick this back up tomorrow if that's ok...
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If you don't have any communication with your scan tool check fuse #9 to see if it's blown. I can't get a diagram of the fuse box, but if I can remember correctly I think it's in the under hood fuse box.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Let's try that first and see if we can get the communication going. If that fuse is blown, replace it and see if the vehicle will start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did get it to turn over using starter fluid. It only runs for a few seconds though.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Any luck checking the #9 fuse?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just saw your reply. I'm going to go check that fuse now. Btw, I did get it to start very briefly using starter fluid.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

So that means you have spark at least.

I'm still thinking we need to get it communicating to figure out what's really going on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the #9 fuse and it is not blown.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I hook up the scanner, it shows a % as it loads up. It gets to 96% and says unable to establish communication
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm thinking autozone may have a better quality scanner. I'll see if they will loan it to me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm wondering if there is a way to verify the fuel pump is working. Its in the back seat and accessible. I just cant tell if it turns on.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You can check both of the fuel pump relays for power to the #3 terminal. Then you can see if the #4 terminal on fuel pump #2 is getting power from the PCM.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure which ones to check.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Mitsubishi shows them to be in the under dash junction box (fuse box).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'll get under there and take a look.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Can you get someone to crank the engine while you feel top of the fuel pump module to see if you can feel it buzz/hum?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can actually do both at the same time. lol. I cant really tell if it turns on or not. It's noisy and the car shakes when it's cranking... I can't feel any difference with my hand on top of the pump...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the fuse box under the dashboard. They are not labeled. Not sure which ones are for fuel pump.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Can you test for voltage at the fuel pump connector? You should get ground on the black wire and 12 volts on the white wire when the key is either in the run position or crank position.

I'm trying to find a diagram of the under hood box. I'm not sure why Mitsubishi is so stingy with their diagrams.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Picture of the fuel pump. I need to find my voltmeter. Lol.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The connector I circled in red should have a white wire with a black stripe. That's your power lead to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't see any picture with your last post...
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Sorry! Somehow it didn't attach- let me try again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Whew long day. Hope you're still there today. Lol. Ok, I checked for power to the power lead on the fuel pump. (White wire with black stripe). It is not powered with the key in the run position, but it does get power in the crank position. So by that I guess the fuel pump is getting power when needed. Is it safe to assume my next step is to replace the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also wondering if there is a fuel filter somewhere in the line I can check to see if it's clogged.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I would probably replace the fuel pump if you know you are getting power but can't seem to get it to pump. You could pull the fuel line and see if fuel pumps out in the crank position, but be prepared for a pretty strong fuel spray if it is working. You could still be having problems with the injector pulse rather than the fuel pump, so you would probably want to be sure before changing the pump.

There is not a fuel filter on this model. It is just a strainer at the bottom of the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I bought a new fuel pump. I will check the old one the way you described before I remove it. If the old fuel pump is working, how do I troubleshoot the injector pulse?
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

The best way would be if the scan tool will communicate.

We need to be able to check for a cam position sensor signal through the scan tool.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I pulled the fuel line off the old pump and briefly cranked it. Fuel did come gushing out. It didn't seem to be at very high pressure, but it was a lot of volume of fuel.
Unfortunately my scan tool won't communicate with the car.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I would probably replace the cam position sensor. It's cheaper than a PCM and the only other part that would affect injector pulse. It's not terribly hard to change. Do you want to go that route next?