Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years in the AUtomotive repair Business
7276279

My '03 Montero Sport got rear-ended and now the car won't

Customer Question

My '03 Montero Sport got rear-ended and now the car won't start. (I parked it, shut it off--the car was idling while we waited for the cops, I only shut it off once I was home. It would not start the next morning.)
I was wondering if this could be just a coincidence, or was this caused by getting hit (pretty hard) in the rear?
Thank you.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello , my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Are you saying the engine will not crank over?

Do the light come on when you turn them on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I turn the key, nothing happens.
The lights are all on and the battery appears full.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I called a Mitsubishi dealership asking if the car has a safety shut-off switch and they told me it didn't.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay I would start first with making sure nothing was knocked loose starting down at the starter. There is a large battery cable as well as a small start wire at the starter. Check to be sure both are in place. Also make sure the battery is fully charged and holding at least 12 volts and make sure the cables are clean and tight. If these both check okay then the next step would be to take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and down at the starter check and see if you have battery voltage on both wire at the starter while having a helper hold the key in the crank position. If you find that you do have battery voltage and it will still not crank than that means the starter has failed. Check these things for me and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.