Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2012 galant es, starter won't work. Put in a new starter, no

Customer Question

2012 galant es, starter won't work. Put in a new starter, no fix. Just get clicks. Battery is new, also unable to jump off. Is there a starter relay and if so where is it?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 87000 miles, battery 1 month old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Reolaced the starter itself. The old starter blew the circuit breaker on the aurozone tester.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Also old starter got really hot like an internal short.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.

If you jump a wire briefly across the wires at the starter, will it crank? If not then there are poor wire connections at the start or battery or the engine is locked up from an internal or external source.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Found the problem, 2 hours after the Haynes manual arrived. The car was purchased from a tote-the-note dealer, who cut the starter wire (black/yellow) and spliced in a relay connected to a GPS. This was in case the guy missed the car payment, they could remotely disable and locate the car to repo it. Used crappy butt splices, one wire pulled out of the splice easily. Soldered a jumper wire in place of the relay, all is well now. I did leave the GPS in place...��

Glad you found the issue