Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I am considering replacing the engine in my Lancer DE 09.

Customer Question

Hey, Doug.
I am considering replacing the engine in my Lancer DE 09. This motor has a bad history already and the machining would take longer and be more expensive.
I have two questions: Which is the better option, replacing the motor with a junker motor that I can't inspect internally or rebuilding the current one? Price difference is small enough to where durability is the deciding factor.
Second question, should I replace the engine, what other models' engines drop in to my car?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

A junkyard engine that you can inspect and freshen up while out is a good option. Also look into aftermarket refurbished long blocks with a warranty. I show a 08-10 being compatible.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is precisely the issue. The guarantee on the engine from the junker would probably be a month or less and if i were to have it disassembled, i might as well just rebuild the current engine. What, specifically, should I look for besides sludge? And what can I do to freshen it up short of a complete disassembly?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My current engine just has major sludge and seals issues, no cracked anything. 130k miles though!Again, my main issue is which ahould be more durable, while keeping in mind that the used engine would be an unknown evil vs known evil of my sludgie engine.

Your sludge engine, is there noise while running and is the compression good?

The freshen up a used engine you would replace any common wear parts on the outside, replace easy to access seals and gaskets. Flush the engine to clean it out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah, there were what i think were compression issues, and a noise at around 2250 rpm, like a rattling. I could never figure out if it was the pulley recall or the a/c (compressor's going bad) or engine noise, since it only did it under stress (inclines) and while hot. Kinda hard to replicate.

If your noise was coming from within your engine then it could be a cam, rod, or main bearing or valve train issue. Overhaul would be needed to address those, flushing to remove the sludge alone would not resolve this.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris