Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Was driving my Pajero Nl exceed auto 3.5l....A/T light and

Customer Question

Was driving my Pajero Nl exceed auto 3.5l....A/T light and battery light came on.
The engine sounds fine, but all the belts are just turning over. The belts don't speed up with the engine. Is there some kind of clutch assembly on the main pulley.
Prior to this happening, there was a squeeling sound when the engine would first start, when cold, but would go away before I could chase the source.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  discostew replied 2 months ago.

Hi there , all the accesories belts (like air con , altenator , power stewering ) are driven from the crankshaft , there is no clutch on the crank (the air con has its own clutch on the compressor ) , the pajero runs a mutirib belt does it not ? , this belt type can slip without noise ... especially if its the 'one belt for everything type ' , can you see if has separate belts or just one for me ? , could also be main front pulley (harmonic balancer) problem , can you see if the inner part of the pulley is turning faster than the outer part ? let me know thanks stew