peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I can't get my 4x4 light to come on, And I can't drive in

Customer Question

I can't get my 4x4 light to come on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: And I can't drive in 2wheel drive or any of the 4 wheel mode
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2004 montero the big one,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm sitting on a steep hill, and backed into a tree-stump on the right side bumper
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes all the lights on which indicate all the wheels are not coming on, only the differential light in the center is on
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it act like the vehicle is in neutral with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has no power,
It feels like the rear wheel tries to move, but the front wheel are locked,Also, only the center (differential) light are on, none of the wheel lights are on!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But if the turn the engine off, and start it back up, all the lights are on, and as soon as I try to move all the wheel lights turns back off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't forget it's backed down a steep hill, and I hit a tree stump on the right side back bumper!

This sounds like a possible fault with the transfer case itself not engaging properly or a lock actuator not engaging properly for the transfer case or differentials.

What needs to be done from here unfortunately is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set in all computers.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.Once this is done the codes can be diagnosed and repaired.

With the way it is sitting now the only thing I can say is to see if you can get a scan tool plugged into it the way it is now or if it is safe and wheels are blocked from rolling look under the vehicle for any damaged mechanical drive train components needing repaired or any wiring or connections that are stretched or damaged needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete