rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2008 lancer 4 cylinder with CVT Had EGR code for low flow,

Customer Question

2008 lancer 4 cylinder with CVT
Had EGR code for low flow, an expert from this site told me to change the EGR valve. I did, CEL has stayed off.
Here is the problem, I believe there is a great deal of carbon/sludge in the passages or tubes. When I changed the EGR valve a few months ago, I used a wire brush to clean the passage, the brush came out with heavy black sludge. Before we switched oil change shops, I discovered on several occasions that the shop didn't close air filter box correctly, probably had this problem for at least 50,000 or more. Now car burns about quart of oil every 5,ooo miles, I think it is from internal engine wear.
Anyways, whatever the cause , the oil being burnt is causing a big problem with carbon buildup and the egr system is not functioning correctly. The car stumbles at idle and its worse with ac on. I need to clean the egr system completely. I need instructions on how to do that. What are your experiences with this issue, mind in mind the EGR is brand new OEM. I was gonna try seafoam through the intake or fuel system, but I seriously doubt that is gonna be able to clean out the sludge. It looks to be a pain in the @#$# to get to the EGR passages.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

WOW!, that's not good as you already know. You will need to pull off the intake to do this right. Once you're in there, every passage will be accessible to clean with brushes and screwdrivers to break it loose. let me know if you need anything else.

thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for helping out, I have worked as a maintenance tech for 10 or more years on industrial equipment, I have also rebuilt several gas engines. I can do the work I am sure.
I think your right about having to clean everything. Can I get directions on removing the intake? Will I need to replace gaskets?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.
I can get the directions tomorrow, is that okay?
Gaskets will need to be replaced, yes.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Here it is, please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Just doing a followup to see if you had any more questions.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Once I have the intake off, what lines do I need to clean out and how do I clean out the sludge....note, the EGR valve is new.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Any thoughts? Also the diagram is hard to see how the intake comes off, thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

You need to clean out the EGR ports with chemicals and a brush. If the diagram is blurry, you need to update your PDF reader. Mine looks normal.

Please remember to rate me 5 stars now.

Thanks, Ron