Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 99 eclipse spyder 2.4 starts perfect then as soon

Customer Question

i have a 99 eclipse spyder 2.4 starts perfect then as soon as its warm it idles rough and i have to pump the gas pedal till it revs up then runs smooth as long as the rpms are up over 1500
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the spark plugs?
Customer: 160,000 spark plugs look ok i didnt change them but i have changed coils wires fuel pump and filter cam sensor
JA: What year is your Eclipse Spyder?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: im a mechanic so yes im gonna fix im just stumped on this one i changed coils wires fuel pump and cam sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No check engine lights and no codes I checked with code reader

ok

from the way you explain the problem,,it sounds as if you may have a bad ect sesor[engine coolant temperature]

the ect can do this and sometimes not give a code

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok ill check that next I've been a mechanic for 10 years and this car has me stumped lol

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atxkxo44oyaotos/0725-mitsibitchi-Sensor%20Locations%20Overall%20View.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/atxkxo44oyaotos/0725-mitsibitchi-Sensor%20Locations%20Overall%20View.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i changed the ect sensor it tested .6 and ran great again until temp got to the normal range then starts spitting and sputtering again rev it up to 1500 rpm and smooths out until i let off the gas pedal then idles crazy again still no cel light and no codes I'm confused as hell

strange in deed.please stand by.maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you

thanks

Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
New expert here, so from previous correspondence my understanding is that when the engine is cold it starts and idles fine? But one the engine warms up it will run fine but will not idle?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yea it will run great till it warms up to normal then idles rough and i can pump the gas pedal and get it up to 1500 rpm or higher and it smooths out then goes right back to rough at idle no cel and no codes i have changed the fuel pump coils wires cam sensor ect sensor and now I'm stumped
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok something else weird if i unplug the tps after it starts idling rough it idles smooth so could the tps be bad and not throw a code? still odd that it only does it warmed up
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
Hey there I apologize for the delay, been out of state.Does it get poor gas mileage as of recently as well? Because poor fuel trims can cause idling issues as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It gets good fuel mileage still
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
In most cases when the TPS is bad there won't be a change when you unplug it.
Since you have no codes as of now it's probably best to start by cleaning the throttle body till its spotless, then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and drive the vehicle to allow it to relearn idle adaptations.
If the problem persists afterwards and you have a meter there are Some tests we can perform.