Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician

I have an '03 Outlander, and the cruise control hasn't

Customer Question

I have an '03 Outlander, and the cruise control hasn't worked since I got it. The green dash light used to go on and off when I would push the cruise control button, but the cruise control itself never engaged. Now, the green light is on 24/7 but still no cruise control. Any ideas what I need to swap out?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi .

Okay the problem you have could be so many issue like for starts, Brake switch ,

Sticking ON /OFF switch ,servo actuator ,vacuum pump electrical connection etc etc .

Problem is the cruise light is on all the time which means you do have a problem in the management system .

You need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for malfunction codes .

Just taking a guess and replacing parts on assumption could get expensive ,so is mote economical to have the system hooked

up to a scan tool and check the system for codes .

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a standard code reader, but there are no codes stored. I appreciate your response, didn't actually tell me anything I didn't already know, and paying for that feels like a bit of a ripoff. If you had just taken your best guess, I would feel a little better about it.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi .

A standard code reader will not read any Cruise control module, Airbag codes ,ABS or any other systems in your car except engine OBD II codes.

This is why you are not finding any codes .

The most common issue for a bad cruise control is the brake switch check and see if the brake lights work as its the same circuit that the cruise uses to deactivate the cruise .

But this code would be in the OBD II catagory .so don't think its this ,but check the brake light anyway just in case your code reader did not pick it up .

Rgds Greg