sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

It has a low-pitch whine at 20-45 mph, that does not change

Customer Question

it has a low-pitch whine at 20-45 mph, that does not change when coasting with clutch in or shifted to neutral and coasting. Though I think the growl from 20- 45 mph comes from straight infront of the shifter (), there seems to be a separate, very slight, clicking sound when I turn hard to the left.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Nope.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2000 Mirage 2 dr coupe with 1.5 L 5speed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2 years ago mechanic put in new wheel bearings, and rotors. Today I took tire off, wheel hub seem snub to bearings, only slight end-play in the driveshaft on passenger side but have not checked driver's side.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: has 232,000 miles on it, newer low-mileage engine and clutch 3 years ago. recent new timing belt, tensioner, and tensioner pulley, front camshaft crank seals new, with new waterpump. one tie-rod end replaced new. Tranny never touched. Now this low howl occurs at around 20-45 mph, goes away as speed in increased. Could it be tranny internal bearing or what, is what I am wondering?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im Dave, doesnt sound tranny related. to make sure. find a downgrade on the highway or a road and get it up to where the noise starts, push the clutch in and let it roll on its on. if noise is still there then we are looking at either tires, wheel bearing or halfshaft. thats it.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that the noise is in the transmission but it's less likely than a wheel bearing or tire noise.

If the noise changes pitch or comes and goes when swerving or turning then it's almost surely going to be a wheel bearing issue. Does the noise change under these conditions?
Have the tires been rotated to see if the noise changes?