Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I am working on a 1997 Mitsubishi Ls 3,5 v6. Now what I had

Customer Question

Hi Doug I am working on a 1997 Mitsubishi Ls 3,5 v6 . Now what I had to repair was the crankshaft , bearing etc. So I removed engine and pulled transmission back , it automatic 4x4 . After finishing the job I now have an issue with drive and 2 hear it moves little with no power but if I put it in reverse or L it works perfect! Any help on why D and 2 are not working correctly. Thanks regards Bill
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

If you use L and get up to speed then shift to D, do the remaining upshifts occur and gears work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, no it has no power at all , I did change the transmission oil but I doubt that would cause this problem. I want to point out that it was working fine before I pulled the transmission back and pulled the engine out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I put the car on D from a stop position the car will move but slowly no matter how much I push the gas peddle in.

It would be very tough for me to say it is an internal issue since it was fine prior. The first thing I would look into is the range sensor and shift linkage out of adjustment which will effect the way the fluid in the valve body is directed to the clutches and bands. Have you checked this yet or can you?

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did check the linkage from the shifter to the transmission and since it sets into a pin there is no way for it not to be in place . I also checked the cable that comes for the engine to the tranny and its also in place.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By any chance do you know how much oil this transmission uses.
I put in 5 quarters but drain a lot more and it shows on the dipstick that it's a little past full.

Are you checking the fluid level while running in park at operating temp?

Dry it holds 10.4 quarts, during a service where the converter is not drained you replace about 6 quarts.

Since the linkage is fine our net thing to check is the line pressure. Is that something you have the tools to do?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
will in parking and running , I drained the transmission, and also lost from the converter when I pulled the tranny back. I did not remove the converter at all.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have to measure the oil pressure.

Since the concern was not with the linkage external then you had a fluke failure of something internal that we would need to diagnose, then remove and inspect, then repair and rebuild.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am sure that the tranny is ok inside, fluke is not an option. There hast to be something not working correctly out side to cause this problem.

What would you like to test outside the transmission?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't to be rude but if I knew I guess I wouldn't be here. Not familiar with auto tranny so I don't have a clue. R they vacuum related .solenoid etc not sure.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not to be rude.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's currently 7:30 and I need someone that can be online during this time period . Please assist!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
7:30 am.

It seems you are asking for someone else to help. Opting out now. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not satisfied with the service I would like to get a refund please !