Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I see alot of post on this and i think it may be the

Customer Question

I see alot of post on this and i think it may be the accumulator. Its a 2001 mitsubishi montero limited. No mitsubishi dealership near. Started a couple of days ago a chirping noise that sounds like its under the dash. I can lighty fill it in tge brake pedal when i press them. However it makes the noise sometimes without pressing pedal when idling. I know its hard to tell for sure but would this posibility be my starting point? Had a few local technicians look at it but all they could say was i need to consult mitsubishi because it might get costly lol
. Any suggestions?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Roy replied 3 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

does it make the noise with the engine off??? just key on, engine off???

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Only when engine is running.
Expert:  Roy replied 3 months ago.

ok, thanks

does it change pitch when you press the brakes???

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No its like a shutter, usually a 3 part, if that makes sense. It makes a chirping sound almost as a sqreech with hestitation. Chirp-chirp-chirp. Its not like metal grinding at all, not like air suction, more like a vibration i guess you would say.
Expert:  Roy replied 3 months ago.

ok, without hearing it, it is impossible to give you nay information

I will opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for teying anyway Roy. i will see if i can download a sound file for the next machanic.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

Hey there, new expert here.

when you get the chirping sound, do you notice anything else like an ABS light, lack of braking, or anything of that nature?

Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

the reason i ask is because accumulator failures are common, but you should not get the metallic sounding accumulator screech unless your pressing the pedal. This is more likely associated with an HBB/ABS fault if happening when not pressing the pedal and only coming from under the dash as a more electrical chirp.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No lights, not even a check engine light. Brakes have absolutely no change at all. Everything is working fine, just the annoying chirp. I have taken to 2 mechanics and they have no clue. Say its a mitsubsihi question and nearest one is over 70 miles away. The only advise they gave was that it was possibily the brake line surging but had no clue as to why.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its not like metal on metal sound, it literally sounds like a bird, and yes i checked just to make sure lol
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This has been going on for over 2 weeks. No other issues. Always well kept vehicle, still runs great. No problems. I am clueless at this point.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its definately coming from under the hood, close to the master cylinder.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** then. The accumulator looks like a black ball on the booster there, if it's coming from there when you press the brake then it's the accumulator.