rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I replaced the battery and the starter, but the car still

Customer Question

I replaced the battery and the starter, but the car still won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is brand new and no engine doesn't turn over at all. No sounds from the starter
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 99 montero
JA: What year is your Montero?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to. We changed the battery, terminals and the starter. Checked the relays.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

If the battery and cables are good, then the starter needs to be checked, it's the most likely cause right now.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Battery, cables and starter were replaced in the last 24 hours, but the starter won't click.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, I missed that. Check for power to the starter/solenoid from the ignition switch.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I check that?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

With a test light or a multi-meter down at the starter with the key on, then cranking. Requires 2 people. Check ALL wires.