rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

While at low speeds, I'm getting a rattling noise coming

Customer Question

While at low speeds, I'm getting a rattling noise coming from the back of the vehicle.
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: Just at low speeds, under 20.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2004 Endeavor XLS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took it to a shop and they couldn't replicate it somehow. They did something with the sway bar, but the noise persists.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

The most common thing to rattle is the catalytic converter or the plate that covers it.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let's say it is the catalytic converter, is the rattle anything to be concerned about? Or just noise?