Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My air conditioner is blowing hot air but was blowing cold

Customer Question

my air conditioner is blowing hot air but was blowing cold air than it stopped blowing cold air.The air conditioner compressor clutch isn't engaging. would that be caused by a blown fuse or a relay switch bad. please help.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

More common than not a compressor clutch that stops engaging is simply the result of low refrigerant in the system. Ideally you want to apply 12v to the compressor wire so the clutch engages then check the low and high side pressures before evacuating it. Make sure it holds a vacuum prior to refilling.

If you don't have access to an equipment to recover and refill then you can purchase some with leak detector from a local auto parts store and attempt to add it at the suction side with the compressor running by jumping it.