Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Yea. We cannot get the starter out. There is no room. What

Customer Question

Yea. We cannot get the starter out. There is no room. What is the easiest way to get it out to replace it?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: The issue is the starter. We know what is wrong we just don't want to have to move the engine to get it out
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2001 montero sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: V6 3000 24 valve
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The starter is unhooked. The mounting bolts are off but there is no room to pull it down or to pull it up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

I can help you with this.

Look forward of the starter and you will see the two transmission fluid lines going toward the radiator. There will be two clamps holding them in place with 10mm bolts... remove these bolts to free the clamps so that the transmission lines can be moved. You will be able to then slide the starter farther forward, past the motor mount, and drop it out the front/bottom. It is very tight around the motor mount, but it will clear it you just have to get the angle just right, and of course those transmission lines need to be loose.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

If you need further help please just let me know; I will be in and out periodically for the rest of this evening.