Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 model 2.4 auto speedometer not working changed the

Customer Question

2000 model 2.4 auto speedometer not working changed the speed sensor that has the speedo gear in it n still not workn
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Brake switch ?
JA: What is the model of your '00 Mitsubishi?
Customer: Gs
JA: Huh?
Customer: Eclipse
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am hoping to fix it myself i have changed output speed sensor n Speedometer wnt work
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It was working changed engines n no speeometer now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

If you unplug the VSS (the sensor with the gear on it), do you have a 5V and a 12V wire on it?
Are there any other malfunctions occurring (like reverse lights out etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No five volt
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** 12V either, or is 12V present?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Reverse lights work yes i have a 12 volt
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Thanks. The 12V is the same feed as the reverse lights is why I asked about that.

With no 5V signal that is definitely why the speedometer is not working, however it is pretty difficult to lose just the 5V wire and nothing else... that would only be a wiring issue or (highly unlikely) a PCM failure.

There isn't anything else malfunctioning worth noting (engine runs fine etc)? Is there anything noteworthy that happened prior to this condition forming (recent repairs, maintenance, modifications, upgrades etc)?

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

What I would be doing at this point is going to the C28 connector pictured below, unplugging it, and checking to see if the white/blue wire on pin 3 (side of connector going to the PCM to the right) has 5V with the key on. If it does, then you know the PCM is OK. At that point I would trace the wiring back toward the PCM until you hit the splice where it splits off to the VSS, and then check for power periodically as you move forward to the VSS. Or if you want a shortcut... just run a new 5V wire from the white/blue to the VSS.
If you do not have 5V at the white/blue wire on the C28 connector, then we would have to consider a possible PCM failure, at which point you would again trace back toward the PCM, this time looking for voltage all the way back (past the splice etc). If not voltage is found by the time you get to the white/blue wire on pin 80 of the PCM, then you know the PCM is faulty.