Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Cranks on starter fluid but doesn't stay started. When given

Customer Question

Cranks on starter fluid but doesn't stay started. When given gas sometimes it will stall out. Replaced spark plugs, one of the coil packs, and a new battery. I think it's fuel related, but also my battery is being drained which sounds like alternator
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is a month old. It will turn over with started fluid sprayed in the air intake
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2003 lancer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm trying to fix myself. I checked the fuel pump and filter since I'm not hearing it. I replaced spark plugs, a coil pack, camshaft position sensor, and a couple fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm hearing a strange sound when I give the car gas sometimes and I don't hear the fuel pump engaging
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** it runs on starting fluid this means problem is fuel related, most likely fuel pump. Do a fuel pressure test, pressure should be 47-48 psi key on engine off. If low verify pump has good power/ground with key in start position and replace the fuel pump. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK but that shouldnt cause my battery to die.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is a clicking sound coming from the engine bay. And when she does start and I give her gas, it makes a loud pop like sound
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Step 1 is figuring out is problem is pressure or injector related and going from there. It shouldn't cause battery to die but you could have two differnt problems too. Let me know how fuel pressure test goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I have done a bit of fiddling around and my husband took off a part on the engine and told me to gas it, fuel did sputter out. I'm guessing an injector problem. My car did run better when I had put that injector cleaner stuff you pour in your gas tank
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Is car running now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok, check fuel pressure and let me know. Thanks.