Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Replaced the head gaskets on a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse 3.0

Customer Question

replaced the head gaskets on a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse 3.0 v6. Can't get it to start. Double Checked timing, spark, injectors. It tries a little but will not run. Just wondering if there is something specific to that model that I'm overlooking.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes, smooth, firing occasionly and good, fully charged
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, triple checked the timing, checked the spark, checked the injectors
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I haven't done a diagnostic test on it, wondering if there could be a problem in the electrical system, a sensor or something.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

If you have spark and injectors/fuel and timing, it should run, at least to some degree.... most sensor problems that prevent running will kill spark and/or fuel, etc.

The engine is fully assembled right? If the intake hose is not on the engine it will not run.
What is your compression after reassembly? If you didn't check, we can just check the front/easy side of the engine for a rough idea.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will pull the front 3 plugs out and see if they are blowing good when I turn it over. I don't have a gage but I could get one.
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

We need a gauge.... you can't tell the difference between 10 psi and 200 psi visually unfortunately. Most auto parts stores will lend/loan testers out though.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would really like to have you talk me through this. I would like to run down and get a gage first and then see if we can set up the call.
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

I am not open for a call right now, as I have a back log currently. Even at that, in depth issues like this do not work well on the phone as there is just too much ground to cover in a short period of time versus online with much more flexibility.

The compression test is not difficult to do at all... you just thread the tester into each spark plug hole one at a time and crank the engine for a few seconds and get a reading, then move to the next cylinder. You can unplug the crank sensor to prevent it from trying to fire since we will only have one side unhooked.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would it be ok before we have that call if we sign up for the service because we are already going to pay $18 and then an other $26 to talk and it said we could have unlimited calls for a month for $28 and just talking to you already I can tell it is going to be worth the money to have the advice, I was just worry about putting in my credit card Information in.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is great. The call would not do a lot of good right now with out the tester anyway. Ca I get back to you after I try the test
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Like I mentioned, I have a back log right now, and I do not do phone calls for issues like this where there is tons of back and forth as it ends up eating too much time honestly. What I can cover in 15-20 minutes in back and forth typing could literally take hours on the phone which I do don't get compensated any differently for beyond that one call. There may be someone else here that will do that however, for me it is about efficiency and being able to get things squared away as quickly as possible... in a heavy diagnostic issue like this where there is more time with back and forth inspections, a phone call just doesn't work for me.

We can pick this up whenever you want, after you get the tester and have some number to review, etc is fine.