Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

How to reprogram key when replacing computer

Customer Question

how to reprogram key when replacing computer
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

You need a key programmer or factory scan tool in order to program the keys when the computer is replaced. Do you have either access to a MUT2/MUT3 scan tool or a grey market programmer (like an SBB)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately without the proper hardware there isn't any way to program the immobilizer key to the vehicle. This is standard of all immobilizer vehicles, as the ability to program a key when no working keys are present would defeat the purpose of the immobilizer system of course.

Any Mitsubishi dealership can program the keys to the new computer usually for their minimum labor charge (typically $45).

Some lock smiths can do these keys, some can not. They are a bit hit or miss depending on what sort of hardware they are using, so if you call a lock smith it is best to determine ahead of time whether there is any charge if they are unable to program the key successfully and start the engine. Also verify your prices ahead of time... often times the lock smith fees will end up being literally hundreds of dollars, way more than enough to cover a tow to a dealership and programming by comparison.

If you anticipate ever doing something like this in the future, you can buy grey market programmers on the internet, the SBB programmer is about the cheapest (Around $70 typically) and will program this key; depending on the software version you sometimes have to go in as a "2004 Galant" (they use the same immobilizer system) as earlier SBBs do not specifically have the Endeavor in it, but again the 04 Galant option will work fine. Then use the password ***** to program the key.
There are other programmers out there that will work, but the SBB is the cheapest that I have personally confirmed works fine on this model.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am getting 12v to coil pack where I should be getting.270v
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Can you clarify that?
On each coil pack you have a 12V wire, a ground wire, and a trigger wire (300mV-3V range).

Are you saying that you have two 12V wires per coil pack (or at least on one coil anyway)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
trigger wire is getting 12v
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

That's usually going to be a faulty computer or wiring damage (a 12V wire shorted to the trigger wire somewhere). The wiring is highly unlikely though, whereas the computers failing this is extremely common particularly when people use chinese ignition coils like you get from autozone etc.... those are poorly insulated and the 12V supply bleeds current over to the trigger wire through the transistor, causing it to burn out the driver leaving you with a full voltage supply instead of 3V.

I take it this is the original computer that is doing this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
did replace coil packs probably came from china
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Yeah that's a pretty solid indication you diagnosed it right with the computer. The only time you really see this happen on Endeavors is when aftermarket coils are used. I don't know why it is so hard for the aftermarket companies to make good ones, but its like 50/50 failure rate withing days sometimes.
You definitely want to get any aftermarket coils out of there before you put the new computer in to avoid any damage to it too.