Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero. It shifts from 4WD (gh and

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero. It shifts from 4WD (high and low) to 2WD OK. However: when you shift into 2WD and start driving, after about 30 to 60 seconds you start hearing a loud fast clicking sound coming from the front passenger wheel hub area. It sounds like gears on a shaft clicking. As you slow down, the clicking sound also slows down - until you're down to about 5 mph. Then, there is a loud CLUNK - like the drive shaft is seating into the hub for 4WD. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Thanks in advance for any info.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: The motor runs well and the vehicle drives OK, except for the problem described above.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm researching the problem. Unless it's something simple, like replacing a solenoid or vacuum hose or etc. I'll probably take it in for repairs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today
We have a problem with a CV axle shaft or a bad wheel bearing
If you turn your steering wheel to extreme left or right and take off from a stand still , do you hear that noise louder
The wheel bearing if bad, will become louder the faster you go and less evident when at slower speeds
Is there check eng light on ?
Have we retrieved any codes and if you did what are they ?Chad