Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Reverse gear is not engaging, what break switch? and it's a

Customer Question

Reverse gear is not engaging
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: what break switch? and it's a 1994
JA: What is the model of your '94 Mitsubishi?
Customer: 3000gt vr4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just got the car, I don't need to fix it myself I could take into a shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the clutch is a little hard but other than that everything else looks good, I'm looking to do a complete check up on the car regardless, breaks, fluids, belts, tensioners, AC refill, the works
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Sounds like your synchros in the transmission have failed. You will have to pull the trans to repair this. The gear could also be completely gone.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan