Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I'm located in Mexico City, the Mitsubishi dealers 't know

Customer Question

Hi I'm located in Mexico City , the Mitsubishi dealers don't know what is the real problem with my Lancer 2012 , the problem is after an hour runing the transmission lose power when I make a total stop and star slowing the movement of the car .The Mitsubishi dealers just told me that could be the electronic control of the transmissions or the unit valves
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Please help me . Alejandro
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Automatic transmission
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The dealer told me that the error codes was P0705 , P0776 and P0868
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

There are two areas of concern on this model... the fluid level/condition in combination with outside heat, and the valve body itself.

Can you please check the CVT fluid while the engine is warmed up and running and make sure it is no higher than midway through the "H" range?

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

It looks like we missed each other.

What you are going to want to do is verify that fluid is not too full... warmed up and running it should not be any higher than half way up the Hot range on the dipstick, preferably on the bottom of the Hot range. If the fluid is too full in this model and it is driven on the highway for usually 30-60 minutes it can cause an erroneous fail safe and set faults.

If the fluid level is correct, then you will be looking at a valve body replacement. The dealer can inspect this via scan tool to verify, paying particular attention to the P0868 as that is the on that is the one that will condemn the valve body. For what it is worth... we see the P0868 and the P0776 faults (both end in valve body replacement) a lot on the 2010-2012 CVT units. If you are original owner and under 100k miles, this would be covered under your original owner power train warranty. Otherwise it is a 5 year/60k mile part for subsequent owners.