Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My Mitsubishi oitlander won't start daughter pushed button

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi oitlander won't start daughter pushed button without holding brake pedal and had radio and air on now it does nothing I hooked it up to a battery charger and tried jumping it and nothing
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No it doesn't turn over and two yrs ikd
JA: What year is your Charger?
Customer: 6 months old it works we already thought that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and just jumping and charger
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's all I know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

The only real expectation here would still be the battery, it may have just run down so far that the charger is not able to compensate for it or perhaps just not quickly enough.
What is the amperage output of the charger you are using? How long did you leave it connected?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Neighbor came and got it and charged about hour why would car not start it when we jumped it
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

If the battery is run down exceedingly low, it can become too low to be able to jump start. There are two variables in play.... first, if the battery drops below 10.5V it will become absorb current faster than the jump vehicle can supply it leaving not enough to power up the vehicle, and second if the battery is very low it will take a really good set of jumper cables to be able to carry enough current anyway. The typical jumper cables you see in stores nowadays are not really suitable for anything other than a slightly weak battery... for example you try to start it and the starter operates but too slowly to start the engine etc. In situations where the battery is just stone dead, these basic/inexpensive cables are not sufficient.
I would recommend after the battery has had sufficient time to charge (either by running the engine or leaving the charger hooked up) that you get it to an auto parts store for a free battery testing... running the battery down that low can often have permanent impact on the reserve power of the battery. If the battery fails a load test after charging, it would be best to replace it.