Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero will not start. There's full

Customer Question

My 2003 Mitsubishi Montero will not start. There's full battery power the starter is getting power and seems to be fine I can hear the fuel pump trying to work when I turn the key in the ignition but the engine and starter doesn't make an attempt to turn over. No clicking and no other noises except for the fuel pump but all the lights come on the gas and temperature gage and the dinging when I put the Key in
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I've tried to start it in both park and neutral no wheel lock feature
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ideally I would like to but it depends on what the problem is. I checked power to the starter I've checked all my fuses and I've let it sit overnight And try to start it the following day
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My ABS light goes on and off sometimes and my check engine light is on that's about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

When you checked for power at the starter, did you do so by unplugging the small signal wire and checking for voltage between it and ground while the key was in the Start position?

If so, was there power there or no?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

If there was power on the signal wire, then that rules out everything on the control side (ignition switch, wiring, fuses, park position switch, alarm, etc).

That would put us down to either Starter, battery, cables, or the engine being locked up (unlikely).

If you take a volt meter across the battery terminals, what is the reading at rest and what is the reading at Start position?

What if you measure between battery negative and the starter cable post?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate the help I think I'm just going to get it towed awesome service though I'll use this site again
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

I understand completely.

If I can help you further I am here daily.