john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

I have 2003 eclipse gs. I have had overheating problems that

Customer Question

I have 2003 eclipse gs. I have had overheating problems that I am repairing. I will be replacing the radiator. I have already replaced the fan and control module. However, I also have an a.c. issue. It will blow cold air sometimes but only seems to work at night. The a.c. compressor engages and the radiator fans are working. I already replaced the a.c. relay which seemed to be bad. It was causing the compressor to kick on and off constantly.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes. No leakage. Replaced the radiator cap and burped the system. There were no air bubbles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just getting advice. My father will. Be is a mechanic but lives 3.5 hours away. I like to get parts before I drive there
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Do you know what the system pressures are with the AC running? At idle and at 2000 RPM's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm working with a store bought refill gage. At idle pressure is on the high side of the green zone. When the compressor kicks off the pressure goes into the red. I don't know at 2000 rpm
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. Does the guage go lower when the compressor kicks off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It goes higher when the compressor kicks off.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hard to say if the high side is going too high and causing the compressor to shut off. Does the compressor cycle faster than normal? On a hot day it should stay on for quite some time unless the high side goes high or the low side goes too low, (under 25)

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to normal. I would take an educated guess that it's a high side issue

if the pressure is going higher while running and yes it will go higher after you shut it off if there is high pressure in the system that means there is a restriction .

the question is to find out it is building pressure and the high pressure switch doing its job and shutting compressor off or the swicth itself is bad .

Its important if you can give me exactly the pressure numbers on the high side ,running and sitting after shut off

if the switch is not bad

blockage in

1- expansion valve

2- condenser

have you tried ,( recovering the system , evacuate & vacuum 45 min (with vacuum pump & then recharge system complete )

let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka - Jhook1398 )

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done any of those things. I will try those. Thank you. I'm not with my car now. Will be back later
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you figured out the overheat issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I will be replacing the radiator tomorrow. I have already replaced the thermostate, fan, fan control module, and radiator cap. At this point it's a radiator or water pump.

have you checked for coolant wash or performed a combustion leak test?

any luck?