Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a warning temperature circuit gh, where is the

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I have a warning for fuel temperature circuit high, where is the sensor?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the thermostat ever been replaced?
Customer: its a 2007 outlander 2.0
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had to replace the radiator a few weeks back as it lost all coolant and warped the bottom of the rad. Doesn't appear to have blown the head gasket as its holding water
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I want to do it myself if possible
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi
I m going to send you the diagram to the location of. The fuel temp sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My mitsubishi outlander is showing a high fuel temperature error.
Fuel tank temperature sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would this have anything to do with a faulty turbo as the car repeatedly is going into limp mode with an underboost condition
Sorry I don't have the info on 2.0 liter outlander only have the 3.0 liter here in the u.s, I will op out another expert might have it ,
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

I can help you with this.

This fault can cause the vehicle to go into limp mode as an open circuit will tell the ecu that the temperature is -40F which will put it in fail safe. The circuit fault will usually be the sensor itself, however I would check the wiring near the sensor just in case it got snagged during some other work etc.

The sensor is located on the fuel line just before the vacuum pump. Look at the brake chamber and you will see a large rubber hose coming off the side of the chamber, this goes to the top of the vacuum pump. On the vacuum pump there will be two hoses coming off the front of the pump, the lower hose goes to the fuel temperature sensor.

I am attaching diagrams for the locations I described below. The parts are moved closer together to make it more readable.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Doug is this on the 2.0 diesel vag engine? Engine code BSY? I have apparently a turbo under boost fault too which my local Mitsubishi garage said I need a new turbo. They said it had a faulty valve. They quoted £2000 to replace it!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought the fuel temp sensor was in the fuel tank itself?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

I am so sorry for the delay! I was unable to lock in to your question for some reason.

Yes, this is specifically on the 2.0, not the 2.2 diesel.
As for the valve... Not sure what they were recommending there, but I definitely would take care of the fuel temp circuit fault long before diagnosing anything else.

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure what you are referencing on the fuel tank... this model does not have any temp/pressure/etc sensors on the tank, just fuel level. The 2.2 engine does not either (the 2.2 does not have the temp sensor in the line either).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me where I'm looking if I'm standing in front of the car where to locate the vacuum pump? Left hand side wing area?Regarding turbo replacement they said a valve in the turbo is faulty I can only assume this is te variable vanes? Is £1300 a good price for replacement?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Standing in front of the vehicle the sensor should be on your left, down on the frame rail as it runs toward the bottom of the vehicle. However we have LHD here, so yours theoretically could be a mirror image, I don't have RHD here to compare.

The easiest route would be to use the diagram I posted yesterday... locate the brake booster chamber, follow the hose off of it to the vacuum pump, then follow the lower hose off the front of the vacuum pump directly to the temp sensor.

If anything other than the wastegate fails on the turbo, turbo replacement is in order. There are places you can send turbos out to for refurbishing, however your vehicle will be out of commission until it is returned which depending on work load can sometimes be days/weeks... as well you aren't going to save much money that way either as most turbo overhauls start around £500 for just bearings etc, before you get into actual failed parts replacements.
For a new factory turbo, £1300 is reasonable... it is right at retail pricing.

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if we can close out this ticket or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Doug wanted to check this out this weekend but weather has been awful, just out of interest do you know roughly how much the fuel temp sensors costs and would there be any running symptoms of the fuel temp sensor being faulty?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

In our market they are about $120US, however I know Europe pricing can vary greatly.

If the sensor is faulty by just slightly skewing the values (reading 20% off etc) it will have minimal effect except it extremes.... however if it is reading an open circuit (which could include it being unplugged or the wiring damaged, not just the sensor failed though that is possible too), it will read ~ -40F at all times. This will put the engine into fail safe mode where you will have reduced boost and no real power to speak of. It does this because it thinks the fuel is below freezing temperatures.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
P0183 is the exact fault code, is this the code which would contribute to low power?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Yep, P0183 is a high input fault... which is a fancy way of saying open circuit. That would generate the -40F reading to the computer and would put you in reduced power mode.

Verify the connector is on the sensor and no obvious damage is done to the wiring, and if all looks good replace that sensor.
It looks like it should be part number MN191143 for your 2.0 2007... these start around £20 aftermarket and it looks like in Europe around £30 is going rate for genuine ones from a quick search.

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Did you still need help with this or can we close this ticket out?

Thanks!