Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

02 gs eclipse wont start at times and will others.. Changed

Customer Question

02 gs eclipse wont start at times and will others.. Changed ignition switch and battery.. Didn't have the problem for a couple weeks but now today it's doing the same thing again... Any ideas ??
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is new about two weeks.. When u turn the key it doesn't do anything.. If u play with it and continue turning key it will sometimes turn over and run find... But I can't get it to even do that now
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I'm a ford technician... So just looking For any common issues with this vehicle
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just battery and ignition switch was think possible bad ignition switch or possibly the keys I can bump the starter over with my power probe
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: No ma'am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

As you've probably read already the ignition switch is usually the problem on these... of course having replaced it should have ruled it out.

Was the replacement switch a genuine Mitsubishi part or aftermarket?

Assuming the switch is OK, is there any change when you put the shifter into Neutral and try to start it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Aftermarket.. And no I tried that... I will say my shifter is loose if I tighten the screws in the handle all the way the button on shifter will not depress in.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Shifter handle anyway not shifter it self
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Lets just check our ignition switch again briefly.
Go ahead and take it out, but leave it plugged into the harness.

Then take a flat head screw driver and insert it into the business end of the ignition switch in the little plastic slot and manually turn it to the Start position and perhaps a slight bit past that... does it engage then?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's didn't do anything... I'm gonna take switch back and replace it.. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Lets try that out and see if you get temporary relief again, and if we do then getting a genuine one would be a good idea.

If it behaves the same, let me know and we will persevere.