rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 2002 Galant stall out when at a stoplight or stop sign it

Customer Question

My 2002 Galant stall out when at a stoplight or stop sign it seems to stall out but star back up . I t runs fine when on the gas or driving.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: ok i guess
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well it starts up fine but it has rocking or vibration to it like it needs a motor mount which is not the case I just replaced the rear motor mount. along with crank shaft sensor.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Mitsubishi Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: I also have a oil leak
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You must either have a vacuum leak or the idle control motor is dirty with carbon or just bad. You should first try to clean the idle motor and throttle body with cleaners and see how it works out.

Thanks, Ron