rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Last week I went with friends to the mountains. Did not go

Customer Question

Last week I went with friends to the mountains. Did not go off road since the plan was to hike. So we stuck to the roads and had a very pleasant drive in my 2002 Montero Limited.
We drove 4 hours to get there and in between we were getting off the car and hiking then coming back and then driving around.
Before the trip I had changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires and cleaned out the throttle body. I also put in new Toyo tires for the trip.
We went to the hotel room to freshen up for dinner and when we came back to the car it would just not start up. The engine cranked and cranked, it seemed like it was trying very hard to start but would not. I had more than half a tank of gas in it so it hadn't run out of fuel.
I checked that I was getting spark by pulling out the spark plug and grounding it while my buddy cranked the engine. I got a healthy blue colored spark. My next thought was that the engine was not getting gas. I called the hotel maintenance crew and luckily found starter fluid. I squirted some of that into the throttle body but no luck. Still the same situation.
I checked the crank position sensor as outlined in the following link:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/mitsu...-sensor-test-1
But it checked out to be working fine.
Someone told me that it has vapor locked. I read online that the fuel pump maybe bad. Since the car is about 14 years old I decided to change that anyway. So I ordered that and today (Saturday May 7th 2016) I pulled out the gas tank (not an easy job cuz of the shape and the weird location of the hoses) and changed the fuel pump.
Later I put it all back together and tried to fire the car up hoping that the issue would be resolved but you guessed it. No luck at all. Its exactly the same as before. Battery is good. Also jumped it in case that was the case. No Luck.
Can anyone help give me some reasons why it would just not start?
I have tried replacing the ECU Relays and also bought another ECU to check. Still there is no Check Engine Light. Its like the computer does not speak at all.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Check compression just in case it slipped time. It sound like you did everything right, but I'm still attaching a valuable doc for you to review. Good luck.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Ron. I will try to check compression by borrowing the tools from the parts store (if they rent them) and then get back to you. Everything else seems to be working as its supposed to.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome, thank you too.

Please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Ron, quick question. Even if it has no compression shouldn't the Check Engine Light come on when the key is turned to "ON" position?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Yes it should, that can also mean that the computer is bad or the bulb is out.

Thanks for sharing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have swapped out the computer and it didnt make a difference. I will take out the cluster and check the bulb tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Thanks you too, please remember to rate me.

Thanks again, Ron