Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi galent 2003 4cyl. How do I remove the final bolts

Customer Question

mitsubishi galent 2003 4cyl. How do I remove the final bolts from the oil pan? It seems the final two are inset behind big metal pieces.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

Are you talking about the two that are up against the transmission/flywheel area?

If so, have you removed the access cover/scatter plate from the bellhousing yet?

Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.

The only thing I can see you might be referring to are the two 10mm bolts that are tucked behind the rear corners at the transmission/bellhousing end. In that case you need to remove the access cover or scatter shield some people call it that is covering the torque converter area of the bell housing. There are two 10mm bolts pointing up into the block and two 14mm bolts pointing horizontally into the bell housing. Remove these and the access cover will slide out. From there you can get to the two last 10mm bolts with a 1/4" drive socket and extension, and preferably a wobble extension or universal joint as it is very tight... if your socket is "bulky" it won't fit. Standard sized 1/4" 10mm socket will work though.