Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I need the schematics or diagram air conditioning system of

Customer Question

I need the schematics or diagram for the air conditioning system of a 4 cylinder 2003 Eclipse
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 150,000. Issue began right after Xmas
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: one moment
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need to find where the new expansion valve is found
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Can you clarify what it is you need? Are you looking for electrical schematics, the expansion valve location, or do you need help with diagnosis of your issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the expansion valve location
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.

The expansion valve is located right where the AC lines go into the firewall in the engine bay area.
If you look over the passenger strut tower you will see two large aluminum pipes going across and down... where these turn to go into the firewall, that will be the expansion valve location.
Let me see if I can get a good illustration for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you would get me a good illustration I would appreciate it.
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I can't seem to find any decent diagrams of its location... the views from under the hood just show where the lines stop, and the view of the valve itself is shown with the dash apart. Most people will pull the evaporator to get to it which is likely why they show it that way... however people that do it for a living (And don't want to pull the dash all apart) usually pull it out through the firewall. It is a little tough getting it free from the o-rings, but it is doable that way and save you a lot of disassembly.
Here is the underhood illustration... I outlined where the valve will be.

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I think I can get my hands on an 04 Eclipse in a few minutes and I can take a photo of it if you would like.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you do that for me?
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I've got a lot guy going and grabbing it in just a minute (I have one on the sale lot up front).

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Here is a photo of the location. This is a V6 model... if you have a four cylinder the location is identical but you will have a little bit better visibility than the V6.
The valve is circled in red. After evacuating the system, remove the bolt in the center holding the lines on then pull the lines out and push them aside.

Underneath you will find two allen bolts holding the valve on. Remove both allen bolts.

Install a bolt back in the center (where the lines were bolted in) and use it for leverage to "walk" the valve back and forth to help free it from the o-rings. It will come off with the plastic shroud. The expansion valve has a "hat" on one end, this can get hung up on the way out so you sometimes need to shift the assembly around to clear the firewall, its only a millimeter or two clearance issue though.
If you are unable to get the o-rings to break free, you will be forced to go into the interior and start removing the dash components so that you can stick a screw driver between the valve and evaporator to separate them. I've always been able to get them form the outside though... it just takes persistence sometimes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That link Craig sent goes to a facebook page that does not pull up the photo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any luck????
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry I did not understand that.... can you see the link I posted above that says 80e4be75-9666-4ed5-bdc9-03d1006eff59_Capture.JPG?

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by Craig or a link to facebook?

Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

Were you ever able to see the photo I uploaded?