Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

I have a 07 eclipse with fuse 9 blowing as soon as the key

Customer Question

I have a 07 eclipse with fuse 9 blowing as soon as the key is turned on. I unplugged the fuel pump and all 6 coils. Still popping
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

This is the under-hood 20A #9 fuse that is blowing?

The fuse is blowing specifically at key-on, and you don't have to crank the engine for it to blow, is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Under hood #9 and yes as soon as key is turned on. I do not have to vrank it for it to blow. Car died on street
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

We are going to want to unplug a few more devices and check for the fuse blowing.

Please unplug the crank sensor (follow the wire up the center/front of the engine), the cam sensor (rear of the heads) and the MAF sensor (on the air box/intake hose). Cycle the key and see if the fuse still blows.
If it does not, reconnect one at a time until it does indicating the short; if it does not then...

Unplug the front and rear O2 sensors (rear sensors connectors are right under/behind the throttle body area), the throttle body, the MiVEC solenoids (ends of the heads), and all vacuum solenoids. Cycle the key again and see if it blows.

Let me know what you find in those two steps, if it still blows we will dig deeper (moving beyond those we get into more invasive checks but luckily it is usually one of the ones above).

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Were we able to narrow this down any further?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried repling back but they wouldnt let me without charging me another 18 bucks. Worst site ever. A rip off
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry you had difficulty with the site, that isn't how it is supposed to work. I will send this to customer service for you for a refund.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I did find a melted wire under the big black housing that the wires run thru on the drivers side of the upper intake
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome; I'm sorry for the delay, I had to wait for customer service to finish before we can re-access the question. Hopefully everything got straightened out in that respect and the extra charges or whatever was going on.

With your issue... that's great news. Have you had a chance to repair the wiring and confirm no return issue? Were you able to identify what the duty of the wires were that failed (to determine if there is possibly a high load issue on that circuit etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did veridy the repair but what melted the wire i do not know
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Well for now the best you can do is keep an eye on it... it is possible something is chaffing and grounding out if the melted area is concentrated. If it is a long stretch (several inches of melted wiring) then a component failure is more likely. When you have wiring chaffing to ground it is usually rather focused (less than 2 inches or so of damage). If it is rather focused like that what you can do it run the engine and apply pressure to various locations of the wiring very nearby the damage area. If you can pop the fuse, you know there is a chaff area there where the affected wiring is getting unwanted grounding.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What was weird is it was a thicker black wire almost felt like fusible link but it went to a bolt that had about 5 different grounds on it so it was clearly a ground. No other wires in the loom looked affected
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Hmm... if it was a ground then there is definitely something else in play. The ground wires are post-load, so there is no way they can do that on their own. They have to have some sort of contact with a power wire really.