Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

DOUG ONLY : Doug , Truck runs Great, sun roof works perfect

Customer Question

DOUG ONLY : Hi Doug , Truck runs Great, sun roof works perfect & last night when I went out to just admire the fact that the interior lights are working I noticed that lights I had never notices are working ( door locks, environmental functions ) I can't tell you how Happy I am with your help..,
So on to the next system. This one I think we need to evaluate how much, if any of the parts I actually have on the truck. Both of these never worked when I bought the truck but I'd like to explore having them both functional for my trip this summer. I can prioritize them after we evaluate . First is the cruse control . I have the arm all ready on the column & the " cruse" light comes on if I accidentally hit it. Second would be the air conditioning. Again it has never worked. ( who needs AC on the California Coast lol) We'll be traveling thru Arizona, Texas, Iowa & Mississippi so its going to get a lot of work.,I'll shoot you some pictures to see if the parts are there btw: gave you 5 stars & bragged about you a bit as well as left you a few $$$ .., I'm renewing with Just Answer's for the foreseeable future because of your expertise. Thanks Doug pictures to follow, if you need any other views let me know..,
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

That's great everything is fresh and new again!

With regard to the cruise... can we double check all of the brake lights are working properly? Not just the ones on the tail lights, but the third light on the door that all of them are lit up and if you have bumper mounted brake lights that they are lighting too? If any one bulb is out on the brake lights or is lit dimmer than the others, the cruise will not work. Generally speaking cruise problems are usually the stalk, but we definitely want to check brake lights first and foremost.

For the AC... when you turn the AC on do you hear the compressor kick in a few seconds later? How about the outside fan turning on? Does the engine RPM on the tach go up a little when you turn the AC on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've got a couple of things to do today yet but I'll check it out & get back to you.., Thx
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Seems i have a brake light out in the rear fixure i will open it today to check the bulbs. Ive attached pix of under the hood to see if the AC compressor is there & if the cruze control components are present..Our lighting repair was so successful that the door brake light , which never worked is now working. More on what i find with the taillight later BD
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Lets get those brake lights functioning and see if the cruise works after that. Bad brake light bulbs account for a lot of the cruise failures.

In the first photo you can see the cruise pump below the intake hose. You can see the vacuum hose is attached to it and to the diaphragm on the throttle, so that all looks good.

Nothing of real interest in the second photo. That may be the compressor plug in the bottom between the radiator hose and power steering hose. Follow it down it should go to the compressor below.

Nothing of interest in the third photo.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Check, Im on it..,
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok Brake lights are fully functional..,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
now with
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
now with the brake lights all working i imagine a highway test drive is in order, correct ??
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had a dr appointment!

Yes if you haven't already, take a test drive and see if it will set.... press the on button so Cruise lights up of course, then get the vehicle to over 35mph and hold Set for a second or so and let off and see if it holds. If it does not, hold the ACC/RES position for several seconds and see if it acts like it wants to cruise.

If nothing, I'm going to see if we can manually check codes in the system right now.

Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Yep, we sure can.

If the cruise is not working now with the brake lights all operative we will want to check trouble codes. To do this perform the following:

With the key OFF, pull down on the lever ("SET") and while holding the lever down turn the ignition key ON.

Within ONE second of turning the ignition key on, push the cruise lever up ("ACC/RES").

Within a second or so the Cruise light on the dash will begin flashing in patterns... two long flashes followed by one short flash would indicate a "21" for example. It will output all codes in order then restart from the beginning after the last code.
Write down any/all codes and let me know what they are.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok CC failed to engage on last nights test drive. Followed your instructions for getting codes but all i get is the constant cruise light with bo intermediate flashing. I am in the truck now so im still trying the procedure. ..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

If the procedure doesn't get you any result (even if there were no codes it would still flash steady indicating it tried), then the cruise switch is faulty most likely. The power is good and the ecu is turning on since the cruise light works... it just doesn't appear to be getting signal. For what it is worth, the switches fail a lot, so it wouldn't be too surprising.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By switch you mean the armature??
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

The lever on the steering wheel.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll price one btw: new rehostat arrived ,installed & works perfect
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Ah fantastic on the rheostat!
For the cruise switch they aren't bad... usually around $90 or so. For 01-02 era Montero it should be MR409940.

Any info on the AC situation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't hear the AC compressor turn on.., Where on the engine is it located & I'll hone in on it ?? What's the procedure for getting the lever removed ?? Is there any way to check it once its out of the vehicle ?? Is that the part number ?? The rheostat I just eyeballed off of e-bay . It looked identical & was listed as being from a ," Lancer" ( used) in good shape ..,perfect fit I'm going out to give it one more try before pulling it out. If you could tell me how to go about that in the easiest way it would be appreciated .., Thx BD
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

The AC compressor is on the driver side of the engine, all the way at the bottom.
If it is not clicking on, apart from checking fuses (which I think we already covered pretty well earlier!) then the next step is going to be getting the system evacuated (via recovery machine) to see exactly how much refrigerant is in there. It is important to do this before jumping to any conclusions and trying to "top it off" etc, we need to know exactly what you are starting with. Anything short of a full charge (There is a yellow label on the hood indicating the charge amount) will be an issue... and we will want to add some UV dye and then vacuum the system and perform a scaled charge to make sure it has exactly enough refrigerant. Only then can we start diagnosing the rest of the system... as long as we don't know for certain the charge amount, all other diagnosis will be useless (Since the refrigerant level shuts the whole system down).

With regard to the cruise lever.... there is a Torx bolt on either side of the wheel that holds the air bag in. Once the air bag is removed (unhook the battery first) the cruise lever can be unplugged and there will be 2-3 philips screws holding it on. On a 2002 they should be all from the front (so no need to remove the wheel).

I'm not sure what you are asking regarding the Lancer rheostat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doug No question about the rheostat.Just saying how i found the right part. The air diagnosis sounds like a job beyond the realm of this backyard mechanic .So lets concentrate on the cruise control for now are the torex bolts the star shaped ones underneath the wheel??Can i saftly remove the airbag by simply disconnecting the battery & removing those two bolts?? How can i disassemble this & pull the lever and then reasemble so i can drive it while waiting for the parts?? I know its sometimes the middle of the night there.No worries we can always pick uo the next day?? Which fuses control the AC & the cruise control?? Id like to check both again just to make sure. Im spending my Memorial day weekend away from the Tourist & traffic so depending on your schedule I'll be in & out all weekend.Thx BD
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

OH okay.

Yeah with the AC having the system properly charged is absolutely mandatory before beginning... most shops will do a evac/dye/recharge for under $100 to get you started, just have them note how much came out too though so you know where you started from as well.

Yes, to remove the air bag unhook the negative terminal them loosen the two Torx bolts on either side... they will not come all the way out, they are captive in the wheel. Lift the bag out and unplug the connections then set the bad aside metal side down.

You can remove the lever then reassemble the bag and drive that is no problem. We can do some on-switch tests after it is out as well if you like. Just DO NOT hook the battery up while the air bag is out, it will set a trouble code that requires a dealer scan tool to reset.

With regard to fuses we should be good on that front; for the cruise the only two fuses we worry about are for the brake lights (which we know is good since the brake lights work) and the cruise ecu (also good as the switch turns the light on/off). The AC check under hood #6 (25A), #7 (10A), #11 (20A) #14 (10A) and in dash #10 (20A). There are two other fuses but if the blower fan in the car works they are OK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it DO NOT hook the battery up without the bag reinstalled . I'll be working this today..,
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
According to the fuse schematic that you sent #6 is headlights 10amp #7 is fog lamps#10 audio 10amp this is under hood compartment # ***** reversing lights 10amp do we have the same page??
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Use this, disregard any description in your covers, they are just about always wrong.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
check thats where ill start
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.... sorry for the delays today, I'm out more than in too today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No worries .lm elbow deep in work/ life for the next couple days. Thanks for the update. Im going to price that AC charge & grab the right Torkex.Later
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good