Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

My daughter lives in Haiti and has a 2002 Montero Limited

Customer Question

Hello, my daughter lives in Haiti and has a 2002 Montero Limited XLS. Her mechanic destroyed her engine and we just got the replacement in. It has run again, but one issue. It seems to be alarm related. She turns the key and nothing, sometimes after a few minutes it starts, but not today. No turn over. Any thoughts?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any thoughts on the problem?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 months ago.
Hi,I see you've been waiting a bit for a response, different user here and Mitsubishi employee. This could be alarm related as this model did have a starter interlock on both of the alarm (factory vs port installed) versions.The next time it happens, if you have a red led button on the left side of the steering column (port installed alarm), press and hold the led button while turning the key. If it starts immediately, the alarm was malfunctioning.If you do not have that button (factory alarm), use the key in the drivers door to unlock the door twice then recheck operation. If it starts immediately, again the alarm was malfunctioning.However if neither of those correct the issue, it is not likely to be alarm related. In that instance you would have to first consider collateral damage during the repairs.... meaning checking the cables on the battery and at the starter to make sure one is not loose... that would certainly cause random no-start/no-reaction behavior. Moving beyond that for the most likely unrelated issues (just coincidentally the problem started at the same time as the repairs completed) would be the ignition switch (often turning the key hard will change behavior) or the starter itself seizing up. While there are other possibilities, they are rare on this model