Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have misplaced my keys, and I was looking in to replacing

Customer Question

I have misplaced my keys, and I was looking in to replacing the ignition instead of trying to get new keys made figuring it would be the cheaper route, the problem i am running in to is figuring out how to remove the ignition column without the keys
JA: In addition to the key, do you also have a key fob? Do you have a key code?
Customer: no fob, no key, not sure what key code is
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet just researching if i can do it at all myself without a key
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

First, I need to know what is the year, make and model of your vehicle

Second, are you just trying to replace the ignition lock cylinder or the whole steering column?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2007 mitsubishi galant, just the ignition lock cylinder
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, have you removed the steering column covers yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, i have not, should I?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

yes, the upper and lower covers will need to be removed, the steering wheel removed, the multifunction switch removed. Once those are removed, on the side of the ignition cylinder housing that faces the back of the steering wheel will be a small hole. There is a lock pin in there for the ignition cylinder. You will need to drill it out in order for the ignition cylinder to release. this is the ONLY way when there is no key

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, so after all is removed, what exactly will need to be replaced? i removed the covers, so to remove steering wheel and multifunction switch do i just unscrew them? I have never done this before...just fyi
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, you will need to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 3 minutes. Then remove the torx bit screw on the side of the steering wheel to remove the airbag. Then remove the horn contact and disconnect the airbag harness connector. Once that is done, you will remove the steering wheel bolt, then you will need to use a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. Then remove the multifunction switch-there are claws on it you will disengage with a screwdriver to remove it - see attachments

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

once that is all done, then you will use a 1/8" drill bit to drill out the lock pin and pull out the old ignition cylinder and install new one

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do i disconnect the airbag harness connector?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

On connector should be a slide lock that you slide/push in the direction of the wiring

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you that helped a lot so I have that done, if you don't mind could you send me a picture of the steering wheel bolt? so I know what it is and can figure out how to remove it, and also would a steering wheel puller be something I could rent from a auto store, because I do not believe my husband has one
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Have attached a diagram with it highlighted. It is located dead center of the steering wheel where it recesses. Yes, auto parts stores have the steering wheel puller in their tool rental programs

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** to drop my son off at school, the go to auto store. I will be home, I might need to ask more questions, if it takes awhile for me, I appologize that is why
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

no problem. I am here all day

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?