Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My ac compressor won't kick on, I can't fill with freon JA:

Customer Question

My ac compressor won't kick on, I can't fill with freon
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Okay
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, j don't have the cash to have it done,and its hot
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried checking the fuses
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Not that i can think of,it's a 2004 eclipse
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Look in the under hood relay panel for the AC clutch relay, the one indicated by a snowflake (it should be in the narrow row, all the way to the back if I recall correctly). Pull this relay out.Check for voltage with the key on in all four pin sockets... how many have voltage?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I tell?
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
You will need a DC volt meter. That is OK, we can skip that for something even easier.Pull the relay out still, then start the engine up with the AC turned off.Quickly, turn the AC on and then go to the relay panel and install the relay... do you feel it click when you push it in? If not, take it out and push it in again to see if you feel/hear any clicking from the relay when it is installed/removed. Note you have to do this in the first 60 seconds or so after turning the AC on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope, no clicking
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.When the AC is turned on, do you hear the radiator fans spin up?When the AC is left on for more than a few minutes, does the green AC light flash or turn off (or never turn on)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I hear just the blower, the ac light doesn't work
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Thanks.If you aren't seeing the AC light, please check all fan speeds and make sure the light does not work on any of them (there is specifically an issue with these that will cause the AC to only work on certain speeds).
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
If you are not seeing the AC light on any fan speed, please check under hood fuse #10 (10A) and in dash fuse #20 (7.5A)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, ill try that . Right now I'm on the road, ill get back to you
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
No problem. I am in and out as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry, I am being called into work, I'm severely underemployed and have to get it while I can. I'll be in touch,probably tomorrow
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
No problem at all.