Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years practical experience in all types of repair and trouble shooting on Mitu's

It started to overheat, noticed a small antifreeze leak, cannot

Customer Question

it started to overheat, noticed a small antifreeze leak, cannot tell from where, and there's no heat. 03 eclipse
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: started to overheat, noticed a small antifreeze leak, cannot tell from where, and there's no heat. 03 eclipse
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if I can reach it, yes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: timing belt and water pump replaced a week ago, ran fine until today when I noticed the overheating.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
timing belt and water pump replaced a week ago, running fine til today. Car starts to overheat immediately
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site. .Was the thermostat replaced?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it was not replaced. But if it's the thermostat why would it leak antifreeze.?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I noticed the reservoir was bone dry, I filled up and made no diference, it started to overheat immediately, I noticed the fan was blowing cold air and the radiator was cold, let it cool down, added antifreeze to the radiator whicj was bone dry, the overheating stopped. Could it be just a leak anywhere and it overheats when runs out of coolant?
Another tip, when radiator was full the overheating stopped, but still no heat tru the vents inside the cabin.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..With a bad thermostat, the coolant won't circulate and the heat won't work. When the pressure builds up the coolant can escape out the release in the cap and eventually all leak out..However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.). The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,